Saturday, December 10, 2011

Yesterday was the big day

We had our first IUI yesterday.  It was a non-event.  The whole thing went something like this...

Kristen and I waited in the waiting room nervously for about 20 minutes.  The nurse walked by all cute and pregnant. She was probably 110 pounds before getting pregnant... she is just a little person.  Well, she is one of those adorable little pregnant ladies that makes everyone want to be pregnant.  As she walked past I said to Kristen "you know that I am not going to be cute like that when I am pregnant.  I am going to be huge and waddle like a duck."  She started laughing hysterically and I went on to tell her that I just needed her to know the reality of the situation.  (I am not a small person and pregnancy is going to be splendid, but I am not going to be little and cute.)

Once the nurse called us in to the office she had us sign a bunch of papers and explained what an IUI is.  I am sure that it is necessary, but do people sign up for said procedure without knowing what is going to happen?  She was very sweet and before she left the room she smiled and said "good luck." 

Then our doctor came in, confirmed that I had taken Clomid for 5 days toward the start of my cycle, taken 10,000IUs of HCG the day before, and then shot me up with millions of swimmers.  She literally put the speculum in and then said "we're all done."  It was so quick and easy I couldn't even believe it!  She said that I had a "happy cervix" (that it is open and has plenty of cervical mucus) so she thinks that we hit my ovulation perfectly.  I was very happy to hear that because I am always worried that our timing isn't right.  She then said "let's hope you don't get a period in two weeks, good luck" and walked out of the room.  It was literally 5 minutes and $308 later and I may have the makings of a baby in my uterus! 

I had a lot of cramping yesterday afternoon and some today, but nothing too bad.  I am not sure whether to take it easy or go about my life as usual.  I keep thinking "there could be a baby in there."  I know that I just have to live my life (and try to stay distracted) for the next two weeks, but damn is it hard.  For now, we are 1 day down and 13 to go in our TWW.  Here's hoping!!! :)
-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. A happy cervix is a good thing! :) Good luck to you ladies and may your two week wait go by super fast! :) Hopefully Santa brings you ladies exactly what you've been asking for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog. Yay for getting the IUI timed just right! Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete