Friday, January 6, 2012

Never a dull moment

On Wednesday morning I ended up in urgent care with a throbbing headache. I had the headache on and off since Friday afternoon. It was getting worse any time I did any kind of physical activity. It was pretty obnoxious! By mid-morning on Wednesday I could hardly stand it. Kristen took me to urgent care where they decided to do a CT scan because they couldn't see cause for my headache. After the scan, some meds and some fluids they concluded that the headaches were probably due to the Clomid. They let me go with a diagnosis of "headache (unspecified)" and gave me pain meds. I didn't fill the script for pain meds because I knew that I had an appointment with the OB on Thursday morning.

Yesterday morning I went in to the OBs office and told her about the headaches, etc. and she said that it was probably the Clomid that caused them. In addition, I had been retaining water like crazy (like my eyes were little slits my face was so puffy) and my doctor said that Clomid can do that too. Yippee! Anyway, she gave me some pain meds that are ok to take around conception and I am going to get those filled to have on hand just in case another horrible headache arises. So far, I have had just dull headaches for the last two days. I can totally tolerate that.

At the OBs yesterday we had our ultrasound. It was Day 12 and I have two follicles... 1 good one and 1 that may be ok. They are 15mm and 11mm. My doctor said that everything looked good and to call when I got a positive OPK. I am really looking forward to ovulation this month because it is going to shift my hormones and hopefully get rid of these headaches completely. Here's hoping!

Quick notes on other things going on in my life...

1) My mother is going to sign papers to sell one of her day cares today. I know she is super tired and needs a break from running two day cares, but it is the end of an era and I know that it is very bitter-sweet for her. Plus, I am a little bit sad that she didn't offer me the business before selling it to one of her employees. When I brought it up to her she said she had higher hopes for me. I guess I have higher hopes for myself too, but just the option would have been nice. No use in worrying at this point though.

2) This is the "busy season" at my other job (managing a weight loss program). Everyone has decided that they need to get healthy for their new years resolution. I am all for getting healthy and feeling good, but this is a bit much. Holy moly it has been busy!!! I guess it is good that we are so busy considering the economy. Good job security, I guess!

Anyway... I hope everyone has had a good week. Best of luck with the baby making!
-Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad you're feeling better! I hadn't heard of those side effects before. Good luck keeping up with the weight loss stuff! I bet it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does of Clomid are you on? It doesn't sound like you are responding that great to it. Even a 15mm is borderline - it may or may not grow to a good mature follicle which should be no less than 18mm.

    What sizes have your other cycle follicles been? The two biggest lessons we learned while going through all this is: 1. we would never do another cycle where the follicles were too big or too small. Too big is over 25, too small is under 18. 2. We would never do a cycle where the uterine lining is too low - less than 7mm preferably around 10 at the least. 3. timing around 36-39 hours after trigger.

    We weren't responding well to the clomid - our follicles would grow to about your sizes this time then start shrinking so after uping the dose and uping the dose to 200mg, we finally did the hybrid cycle with clomid and bravelle.

    It's worth it to ask these questions because I'm positive from CCB and other places, most ppl have said 18mm is the smallest size the RE wants to see. Not saying the 15 couldn't grow to that, but it's not a definite. Our dr would have counted out the 11mm right away! So realistically you have 1 possible follicle.

    We paid for everything out of pocket so making sure everything was perfect was important - unfortunately we had to make the mistakes in order to learn the lessons.

    So just some advice from someone who already went through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 15mm was not a concern as I was only on Day 12 and my typical ovulation is day 15 or 16. Follicles typically grow about 2mm per day. Also, I have been reading a lot about Clomid and there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it does little to nothing for people that have normal ovulation. I have very normal cycles and all of my hormone blood work was right on. So, I am leaning toward the Clomid not doing anything for my cycle.

    I was taking 50mg of Clomid, but I am definitely not taking a higher dose. The headaches were not something that I am willing to do again. I will be switching to something else next month.

    The tips are helpful, but unfortunately everyone's body is different. I am happy to hear what worked for you. Hopefully our doctor has the magic touch!

    ReplyDelete