Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A few quick thoughts.

It's just before 11pm and I don't want to sleep.  Sometimes I feel as though the hours in the day are stolen from me.  So I try to steal them back at night.  The problem here is, of course, Ashley's asleep and I am usually too tired to do anything productive (that's also quiet), so I just screw around online until the point that I will wake up tired in the morning.  Ha.  It is a vicious cycle, but I continue to fight!  Occasionally, it feels worth the battle.

Ashley mentioned something recently about finding information on home births--which I see she wrote about in her last post--but we haven't really had a minute to discuss.  As she said, it's something I'm pretty strongly against not because I think it's a hippie idea or anything but because I would beat myself up if anything went wrong.  A midwife is something I can wrap my head around, but home birthing?  It's going to take a lot.

I gave blood today, as Ashley says, "Because I was bored."  I was sort of stranded in town after a Dr's appointment that went much shorter than I had expected and while I had tried to do homework it wasn't working.  So, I decided to head to campus early.  On my way down I realized it was the day the school was hosting a blood drive.  I've only donated once before but I think it's a good thing to do when/if you can, so I decided that's what I was going to do with the hour I had before class.

Now, the problem with this quickly laid plan of mine was that I hadn't planned at all.  I hadn't eaten since breakfast and I hadn't had a thing to drink other than coffee AND I didn't have an appointment.  So I walked into the office and told the woman, "I don't have an appointment and I have class in an hour; if I can get this done and over with by then, I'm in."  She initially told me it would be a waste of my time, but I told her I could either read in the library or read right there and she told me to have a seat.  After all that, it wasn't long before I was signing things, chugging water, shoving a piece of pizza into my face and answering fun questions about sex and drugs.

So I made it.  I did it.  That was my "something to contribute" for the day (which was almost literally true as I could barely formulate sentences in class).  It felt good.  Felt like something I needed to do, somehow, which I can't really explain.  Perhaps that's a residual feeling from a loss of blood.

Today was also a sick day for Ashley.  She stayed home with a bit of the "ick" and slept a lot.  Felt kind of lame to have so much time and not be able to spend it with her, but that's just where we are right now.  A lot of "hi/bye" time and very little lounging around or making dinner together.  Still, it gives me a reason to look forward to Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment