Wednesday, June 1, 2011

So many exciting things...

5/17/2011

Big news… Kristen and I got engaged the other day.  Well, actually it was at like quarter of one in the morning on Friday, May 13th, but the point is that we are now officially engaged.  It was interesting because, being the sap that I am, I expected to cry.  However, I started giggling uncontrollably when she pulled the ring out and said that she wanted to marry.  It was a really nice evening and I am ecstatic.  Nothing has changed at all, but I now have a beautiful ring on my finger and we can introduce one another as “my fiancee.”  You know, the important stuff! 

On the baby front I have been tracking my cycles and trying to plan for the sperm shipment next month.  I have finally pinned down the day that it needs to arrive and will order it within the next day or two.  I am really nervous about the whole thing.  Not so much about the getting pregnant, but the stuff that comes after that, like being a parent.  That is scary stuff and I am ready in theory, but maybe we need to wait until I am 32 or 35 or even 40.  I guess you are never ready for that shift from your own identity to being someone’s mommy.  Kristen told me a really great quote about having children the other day, “Having children takes the focus off yourself, which I’m really grateful for. I’m so tired of thinking about myself. I’m sick of myself.” (Brad Pitt, 2011)  What an awesome view of the whole thing.  I guess that is where I am at… feeling like I am ready to think about another person.

On Saturday we went to a graduation party for my cousin, Stacey.  There were a lot of people there that I have never met, but it was a lot of fun.  The highlight of my day was being introduced to my Stacey’s nephew (by marriage).  His name was Colby and Stacey told us that he had two moms.  I asked him how he liked having two moms and he said that he felt lucky.  He thought that it was great because he got a lot of love.  Colby was a really interesting kid that was polite and well-adjusted.  That reaffirmed in so many ways our decision to have a baby.  I feel blessed to have found someone that I love, trust, and respect as much as Kristen and I really look forward to sharing that with a new life.

The other big thing that happened this week was that I finished my finals at school and got my grades back.  Again, I got all A’s.  That makes me feel incredibly lucky to have gotten through another semester without too much trouble (and I had less emotional breakdowns this semester).  I am hoping that I will be able to maintain the good grades while I am pregnant and after the baby is born.  I guess I just have to take one step at a time. 

-Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment