Thursday, June 16, 2011

One week and counting

It has been one week since we did our first ICI. I am really tired and grouchy (maybe I am pregnant!), but I am inclined to believe that the copious amounts of pollen are causing my discomfort. Going without allergy stuff really bites!

I didn’t get a chance to write about the actual experience of the ICI yet so I figured that today was as good a day as any. I had this romantic vision going into it that we would have some romantic, sexy time before we inseminated and then lay in bed together after. Well, the reality was that we had to schedule time to meet up at home to do the ICI. I left work early and Kristen went in to work late. As we stood there in the kitchen with the giant nitrogen tank trying to figure out how to get the tiny little vial of liquid gold out without freezing our fingers off, I realized that all preconceived notions about how this was going to go were flying out the window. We ended up with oven mitts and tongs and successfully removed the cute little plastic container. Then we thawed it in a warm water bath while we tried to be all romantic. It is extremely difficult to focus on sex when you are thinking “has it been in the water bath too long?” or “am I really ovulating?” I mean, we did manage to have both pre- and post-insemination sex because it is something that apparently helps the process, but it was really hard to get in the mood.

Kristen and I did a lot more giggling and joking around than anything else. While I was laying there with my legs in the air after the deed was done, she stood on the bed and shook my legs a little bit. She figured it might help the swimmers get there faster. 

Although this blog entry probably sounds really cynical, I do feel like Kristen and I are more connected now than we have ever been. I love her so deeply and feel incredibly lucky to have her by my side. I really look forward to raising a family with her and growing together as people.

So, I have one more week to wait until I can take a pregnancy test. Although I am a little confused because my period isn’t usually until the 28th or 29th. That random ovulation really threw me for a loop!
-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment