Saturday, December 15, 2012

Ethical dilemma???

SO, I posted this comment on facebook last night (after this situation happened):

"Funny story... I came down to CT to visit my aunt and uncle for the weekend. My aunt has been watching the news all day and totally forgot that I was coming. She also didn't mention it to my uncle. So, I came in at quarter of ten and they were already in bed. I went upstairs and started to get stuff out of my bag and I heard their bedroom door open so I went to the top of the stairs to say hi. Standing at the bottom of the stairs was my uncle IN THE NUDE with a gun in his hand. That's right folks, I almost met my maker with my uncle's naked body being the last sight I ever saw. Lucky for me, he recognized me and went to put a bathrobe on. He thought I was a burglar. Ha."

I had 31 friends "like" it, and 14 comments saying how funny it was.  Then my aunt's friend called her and told her that I really should take that comment off facebook after what happened yesterday.  I am deeply saddened by the horrible events that played out yesterday in Newtown, CT.  It is so tragic and appalling and evil.  My comment on facebook was in no way intended to make light of guns or anything like that.  I was just conveying my thoughts on a relatively comical situation that had just taken place.

Anyway, my aunt passed the phone over to me so her friend could tell me her thoughts on why I should take the post down.  I have known this lady for like 20 years (I see her a few times a year at parties and stuff).  I see her point, but I am also very annoyed.  I am 29 years old.  I am not a child.  If she did not like my post, then don't read it, or put a negative comment on there.  I don't care... but I just feel like I was scolded.  It has been SEVERAL years since I have felt scolded by an adult.  So not cool.  I ended up taking the comment down and unfriending her.  I am all set with having her police my facebook page.  So much for freedom of speech. :/   

No comments:

Post a Comment